Saturday, October 27, 2007

Update

Originally Posted on Sat, Oct 27 2007 @ 8:29 PM [EST]

Just an update on things. Well, dad hasn't gotten much better. He had to go back into the hospital again on Wednesday, Oct 17th. He wasn't able to stay awake for more than a few minutes at a time. They were thinking that his body wasn't processing his meds completely and things like his pain killers were building up. They discovered that his leukemia is back. It has been in remission for almost a year. He isn't able to be on his own right now so we were able to get him into a rehab center at a local nursing home. He wasn't happy about the idea but he understands. My place is VERY small; actually too small for my family and there isn't any place for another bed so I wasn't able to let him stay with me. It wasn't an easy thing to do. He will be starting chemo on Friday, Nov 2nd.

Now for the REALLY bad news. His leukemia is so bad that that he cannot even take all the chemo drugs he took last time. When his leukemia (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) was discovered in January 2006, they gave him three different drugs. The doctor was up front about it: "…if I treat your leukemia like I need to, it will kill you…" so if he gets the other two drugs, his body will not be able to handle it. They also have him on three different drugs to fight infections. And to quote the doctor again: "…if you get an infection right now, it will kill you…" Just so you know, my dad has gotten to know this doctor pretty well over the past couple years so the doctor knows that dad prefers he be straight forward about things. The doctor said that if there isn't an extreme improvement in his blood count numbers within the first 4 weeks of treatment, then he will not get better. I'm a realist so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

My dad was bummed for a little bit but he has come to terms with it. He is deciding now whether or not to sign a DNR (Do-Not-Resuscitate). I'm pretty sure he is going to sign it and I support his decision. He knows that in his current physical condition, they will end up breaking ribs and possibly collapse one of his lungs which would lead to pneumonia. Since his body isn't able to heal, he knows that this would kill him. He already has a Living Will in place and I'm his Power of Attorney for both medical and financial. His Living Will just basically states that if his condition is terminal or if he is believed to be permanently unconscious then nothing is to be done to prolong his life (this includes nutrients and hydration unless he can eat or drink himself). All that can be done is to keep him comfortable.

My wife and I are the only ones in the family that know things are this bad. We (my dad, my wife and I) decided that it is best not to tell my brothers until we see how he responds to treatment. We feel there is no need to worry them until we know how things are going to go.

I think that is all for now. I ask that all of you keep my dad in your prayers. Be safe out there and keep the rubber on the road.

As always, I appreciate your comments and feel free to e-mail me at: truckin.tedybehr@gmail.com -TBB



Comments

I will keep your Father in my prayers. I don't know what to say but I am here for your support..VM-out!
Comment By: VM on Sun, Oct 28 2007 @ 1:57 AM [EST]

Thanks VM. No need to say anything. It is the thoughts that count not the words. I appreciate you very much.
Comment By: Truckin Tedybehr on Sun, Oct 28 2007 @ 2:07 PM [EST]

I would say that I hope your Dad recovers soon, but from what you have said about him I just hope God comes to his aid so that he doesn't have to suffer too long. I recently lost my Dad to cancer and it was hard watching him suffer. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Comment By: Roadhzrd on Sun, Oct 28 2007 @ 5:02 PM [EST]

Thank you Roadhzrd. I've thought the same myself. I hope that he gets better and fast but if he does not, I hope he doesn't suffer. I appreciate you very much as well.
Comment By: Truckin Tedybehr on Sun, Oct 28 2007 @ 8:43 PM [EST]

TT, all of our prayers are going out to you.
Comment By: lenutt on Tue, Oct 30 2007 @ 7:49 PM [EST]

Thanks Lenutt. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated and you are greatly appreciated as well. Keep the rubber side down.
Comment By: Truckin Tedybehr on Wed, Oct 31 2007 @ 10:35 AM [EST]

No comments:

Post a Comment